This page is a stub. It wouldn't hurt to add more information. Please contribute and make it better!
Graduate Program Overview
"The Big Picture" link to a big Visio diagram that I'm working on.
Important Note: GPAs can be responsible for 3 types of student - Doctoral, Thesis-based Masters, and Course-based Masters.
Depending on your program and the time you start work as a GPA, you will come in at some point on the repeating cycle:
- annual report and admit term anniversary tasks
- research proposal - PhD and MSc thesis only
- candidacy exam - PhD only
- thesis defence exam - PhD and MSc thesis only
- submission of thesis - PhD and MSc thesis only
In some programs, these dates are clear and in the same sort of time frame for everyone, eg. only take fall admissions, all thesis proposals due December first, etc.
In others, it's a free-for-all; continuous admission and students do stuff when they're ready, deadline extensions are readily granted, etc.
So until one whole year has passed, a new GPA is going to feel a bit out of their depth. Use all the other GPAs you can find to help you.
Other things you may or may not be responsible for include:
- processing Faculty Members into student supervisors/committee members
- applying for and paying awards for students
- keeping track of the departmental budget
- helping ESL students access language resources on campus
- acting as the first-line contact for the department
- identifying ways to make this whole job easier
Otherwise, fill in What Who When Where Why How
--ExecGerbil 10:59, 11 August 2008 (MDT)