Private Cloud Initiative
University of Calgary Private Cloud Initiative
The intent of this page and related pages is to document the progress of faculty, researchers, students, and staff in creating a local private cloud computing environment. This private cloud will serve as a major research instrument for researchers across multiple Faculties.
There is a strong case for a private Canadian cloud computing infrastructure. Researchers at the U of C are interested in studying the systems behavior and security properties of a real cloud environment; doing so entails fine-grained instrumentation of multiple layers of the cloud (more than most cloud clients have access to, such as the underlying virtualization layer and hardware resources).
- Meeting Minutes (meeting minutes starting 18 Jan 2011)
- Intended Uses (possible clients of the private cloud)
- Research Initiatives (list of studies and experiments)
- IRB/CPHS approval discussion
- Resource Requirements (personnel/management, hardware, software, funding)
- Data Repositories
- Define experimental goals (at least within CPSC & ISPIA and possibly Faculty of Medicine/Public Health)
- Define service goals and roles (what value can we add to research projects around the university?)
- Identify a hardware platform (e.g., IBM)
- Identify a virtualization management layer (IaaS), e.g., VMWare, Microsoft
- Identify a guest OS layer (or appropriate mixture)
- Identify an appropriate set of SaaS components (e.g., Hadoop)
- Coordinate with UCIT and IS2
- Start conversations with vendors; sales pitch is to partner with a university to understand the parameters of a private Canadian cloud (e.g., VMWare Academic partner)
- At appropriate time, bring in local cloud services company to the conversation
Links to various experiments. Some of this is not yet ready for public consumption.
- Existing Cloud Research Initiatives
- Cloud Services
- Cloud Security
- Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) - http://www.cloudsecurityalliance.org/
- Cloud Computing Risk Assessment by ENISA (European Network and Information Security Agency) - http://www.enisa.europa.eu/act/rm/files/deliverables/cloud-computing-risk-assessment
- Cloud Computing Security from an Enterprise perspective - http://cloudsecurity.org/
- Related Work
List of people involved in the project and their roles and contributions.
Rei, Michael, Kris, Gaven, Raul, ...
Funding for this instrument comes from...
The cloud-security-interest-L mailing list at the U of C serves as a forum for discussing this research instrument (use cases, troubleshooting, feature requests, research ideas, hosting requests). Please visit the Mailman page for the list to sign up or browse the archives: