Courses/Computer Science/CPSC 203/CPSC 203 2007Fall L04/CPSC 203 2007Fall L04 Lectures/Lecture 13
Rather than a formal lecture today, we will focus on a Q & A session to help prepare you for the mid-term exam on Thursday.
The objectives of today's class are:
- House Keeping
- Midterm is next Thursday (you have the whole class).
- Assignment 1 Due Monday Oct. 29th at Mid-night. Submit by BlackBoard.
- Example of a Relational Database Design (continued from last class).
- Assignment 2 Introduction.
- Midterm Test Q & A -- practice test review; general questions.
Iterative Database Design Exercise (from last class)
We will use the Survey Data Set.
- We will work in "Teams" for 20 minutes -- then present our results to the group.
- Each Team is a long table.
- There are 2 Sub-Teams:
- White Sub-Team are the Designers
- Black Sub-Team are the 'Bug Finders' -- Critique design in terms of the Design Goals above.
- Rapidly work your way through at least 2 iterations.
- Iteration 1: White Team initial design. Black Team Critique.
- Iteration 2: White Team re-design. Black Team Re-Critique.
- Last Part of Class we will have a couple of Teams present their Design.
- Tuesday I will present a 'Normalized' Design.
MIDTERM TEST FORMAT AND POLICY
- Midterm is in regular lecture class -- October 25th, 2p.m.
- You have the full 75 minutes.
- Format is Multiple Choice (20 questions). (so how many minutes/question???)
- Your answers are on "Bubble Sheets" -- make sure to fill out your info completely.
- Post-Test we will review answers.
- Exams will not be handed back (as per finals) -- but you may make an appt. to view your exam.
- TIA 4th Edn: Chapter 13, pp 572-578
- TIA 3rd Edn: Chapter 13, pp 546-552
TIA 3rd Edn: Chapter 11. 462 -- 503
TIA 4th Edn: Chapter 11. pp 484 -- 525
The Wiki (and materials there)
Materials on BlackBoard Course Documents Section